A major cosmetic surgery procedure such as breast reduction will be preceded by a significant amount of preparation. It is in the patient’s own benefit to prepare for the surgery in a dedicated manner and follow the surgeon’s instructions.
At the time of pre-op consultation, the surgeon will provide guidelines for preparation to the patient, answer all her questions, and help her form realistic expectations. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides breast reduction to patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding locations.
Steps Involved in Preparation
The patient should ideally follow a few key steps well ahead of the scheduled date of breast reduction cosmetic surgery procedure:
- Arrange for the previous medical records from the physician, specialists and hospital and have them submitted in advance to the surgeon who will perform breast reduction.
- Prepare a comprehensive list of medications, including blood thinners, NSAIDs, prescription meds, herbal supplements and vitamins and present it before the surgeon during the pre-op consultation.
- Get any lab test, chest x-ray or specialized mammograms done, if suggested by the surgeon.
- Alter the schedule of prescription drugs in consultation with the physician, if required.
- Refrain from smoking for a specific period of time before breast reduction as advised by the surgeon.
- Complete any major office assignments or household tasks before the date of surgery in order to have a stress-free recovery.
- Arrange for someone responsible who can drive the patient back home after the surgery.
- Arrange for professional aftercare or have some friend or family member stay at home for a few days to assist with the daily chores.
The patient will be able to mitigate the risk of complications during and after the surgery and have a quicker and easier recovery if they follow all instructions for surgical preparation prior to breast reduction.
A Day before the Surgery
One day prior to the breast reduction procedure, the patient should follow these basic tips as suggested by the plastic surgeon:
- Rest well and sleep adequately on the night prior to the surgery.
- If the surgery is to be performed using general anesthesia, refrain from eating or drinking anything for eight hours before the surgery.
- Avoid alcohol for at least 48 hours prior to the surgery.
- Do not wear jewelry, body piercings, or accessories on the day of surgery.
- Wear comfortable and loose fitting clothes when visiting the surgery center. The top should button or zip in the front for easy handling after the procedure.
- Diabetics should have their vital parameters checked on the morning of the breast reduction surgery.
Patient should keep some basic items such as loose garments, comfortable footwear, extra pillows, pain medications, bandages, and other necessities at home in advance. This will ensure she faces no inconvenience on returning home after the surgery. Committed and judicous plastic surgeon Dr. Kaufman receives patients from Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and other neighborhoods and cities in this region for breast reduction and various other procedures for the breast, body, and face.