Today, breast augmentation and breast lift among the most sought-after cosmetic surgery procedures in the United States.
The procedures can significantly enhance the size and appearance of breasts in proportion to the rest of the body.
A breast lift is undertaken mainly for cosmetic reasons while breast augmentation may sometimes be performed for breast reconstruction after a mastectomy.
In many cases, the surgeon may perform breast lift and breast implant procedures together to accomplish more optimal outcomes.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides breast augmentation and breast lift to patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding locations.
Improving the Appearance of Sagging Breasts
The breasts may sag because of aging and other reasons. Many women are bothered by the loss of breast shape and volume.
Patients often ask their plastic surgeons if breasts augmentation can tighten the breasts to some extents. Breast implants can slightly improve the appearance of sagging breasts, but the procedure is not meant for this purpose.
A patient may require breast lift surgery if her breasts sag significantly. At the time of the pre-operative consultation, an experienced surgeon will clarify to the patient which of the two breast surgery procedures may be more appropriate for her.
Who Should Choose Only Breast Augmentation?
An individual breast augmentation may be suitable in the following cases:
- The patient is displeased with the smaller size of her breasts due to natural causes, or the breasts have lost volume due to pregnancy, or significant weight loss.
- The breast skin is reasonably elastic, and the breasts are not sagging significantly. The nipples and areolas are still close to the natural center of the breasts.
- The breast size is not even, which may be addressed with a breast implant surgery.
- Breast tissue loss has occurred because of a mastectomy or breast injury, which can be corrected with breast augmentation.
Breast Augmentation in Combination with Breast Lift
At times, the breast surgeon may recommend breast augmentation in combination with a breast lift cosmetic surgery procedure to accomplish her desired appearance. This recommendation may be made in the following cases:
- Breasts droop significantly
- The patient wishes to enhance her breast size while simultaneously making her breasts tauter
- The patient also desires a more pronounced projection and enhanced roundness of the breast mound in addition to an increase in the size of the breast.
Only breast implant surgery can achieve upper aspect fullness in the breasts. For this reason, patients who desire upper aspect fullness combined with tauter and raised breasts are suitable candidates for combined surgery.
Every patient has different cosmetic goals, and it is contingent on the surgeon to recommend the most suitable treatment approach to meet those objectives.
On top of this, the surgeon will take the patient’s overall medical condition and history of breast surgeries into consideration prior to making a recommendation between breast augmentation and breast lift surgeries.
Plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman receives patients from Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and nearby areas for breast augmentation.