Hand, wrist, and the arm are a vital part of the body, both in terms of function and aesthetics. Hands are a particularly complex structure, and any cosmetic surgery related to the hands should only be performed by a fully trained, committed, and experienced surgeon.
During the initial consultation for hand surgery, the patient should ascertain about the surgeon’s background as well as the essential aspects of the procedure.
A dedicated and judicious surgeon will encourage the patient to ask questions and clear all their doubts and concerns. A well-informed patient will typically feel more confident and will be in a position to make better decisions. Wonderful, reliable, and board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides hand surgery to patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding communities in this geographical region of the nation.
Key Questions to Ask
The ideal approach for a patient would be to prepare a comprehensive list of questions in advance, and bring it along during their pre-op consultation with the surgeon. Some of the important questions may include:
- Do you have a board certification in plastic surgery?
- Do you have specialized training in performing hand surgery procedures?
- How many years of training and experience do you have overall in the field of cosmetic surgery?
- Have you previously performed hand surgery procedures, and what is your patient satisfaction rate?
- Do you have operating privileges at one of the local hospitals or surgery centers to perform my procedure?
- Will the procedure involve general or local anesthesia?
- Do you have a trained and accomplished team of support staff to assist with the surgery?
- Will you be accessible to me during all my office appointments with regard to hand surgery?
- Do you think I am a suitable candidate for hand surgery?
- Which surgical technique would you employ in my case?
- What will be actual duration of the surgery inside the operating room?
- Can I have access to a few hand surgery before and after images to understand the potential results?
- Can I review testimonials of past patients who may have shared their experiences about hand surgery?
- Would you introduce me to one of the staff members to familiarize myself more with your practice or give me an office tour?
- In the event of an emergency will your practice will be equipped to handle it?
- What are the potential risks and complications that I know of?
- How much would the hand surgery procedure cost me, including pre- and post-operative expenses?
The patient should preferably visit the surgeon’s official website prior to the initial consultation, and get some idea about their professional credentials and the type of procedures they perform. The patient may also engage with other patients through dedicated online discussion forums related to plastic surgery.
This may provide some more clarity and insights about hand surgery before the patient makes a final decision. Dedicated and noteworthy facial plastic surgeon Dr. Kaufman receives patients from Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and other cities and neighborhoods for hand surgery.