Hand surgery is a complex cosmetic surgery procedure, which should be preceded by a meticulous preparation process. The surgeon will provide detailed instructions to the patient for preparation. The patient’s commitment to follow the surgeon’s instructions for preparation will have an impact on the final outcome of hand surgery.
Patients who are thoroughly prepared for hand surgery will be in a better physical and emotional state, and will have more realistic expectations and clear goals. Such patients typically achieve higher satisfaction levels in the end. Board certified and profound plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides hand surgery and various other cosmetic procedures to patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding communities in this part of the northern Ohio landscape.
Prior to the scheduled date of surgery, the patient can begin working on the following aspects, and ideally have some of the information ready even at the time of pre-op consultation:
- Arrange to send past medical records from the physician and specialist to the office of the surgeon.
- Make a detailed list of all prescription and non-prescription drugs, including herbal supplements and vitamins that the patient is currently using.
- Get any x-ray, MRI, or blood test done as instructed by the surgeon.
- Adjust the schedule of any prescription medications, if necessary, in consultation with the physician.
- Stop smoking for a few weeks as per the surgeon’s advice.
- Complete any urgent tasks at home or workplace well in advance, in order to have stress-free recovery.
- Arrange for transportation on the day of the cosmetic surgery to return home comfortably.
- Arrange for aftercare, whether a professional nurse or a family member or friend, for the initial recovery period as needed.
A careful preparation will increase the chances of a safe and predictable hand surgery and easier recovery.
A Day Before the Surgery
Prior to the scheduled hand surgery, the surgeon or their staff may provide written or oral instructions to be followed just before the surgery. These may include:
- Have adequate rest and sleep well on the night before the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink for about eight hours prior to the scheduled time of surgery.
- Refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages for at least 48 hours before the surgery.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes to the surgery center, with a top with front buttons.
- Patients suffering from diabetes or another chronic illness may take any mandatory medication with one sip of water on the morning of the surgery as per the surgeon’s advice.
The surgeon may prescribe a mild calming medication to keep the patient stress-free on the night before the surgery. To ensure a comfortable post-operative phase, the patient may arrange in advance for pain medications, extra pillows, loose fitting clothes, ice packs and other essential items at home.
In case of hand surgery, having someone to assist at home for the first few days becomes particularly important. Physical therapy may also be required for quicker rehabilitation. Tremendous and committed plastic surgeon Dr. Kaufman receives patients from Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and nearby areas for hand surgery.
To learn more about cosmetic treatment and procedures or to schedule a consultation by Cleveland Ohio area plastic surgeon, Dr. Bram Kaufman, please contact us at 1-216-778-2245 or click here.