Liposuction is one of the less invasive cosmetic surgery procedures that can be performed using only local anesthesia. However, it still involves careful preparation like any other surgery in order to achieve safe and desirable outcomes.
A well-prepared patient will be able to eliminate much of the anxiety associated with a surgery, and increase the chances of a smooth surgery and recovery. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides liposuction to patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding locations.
Guidelines for Preparation
The following simple guidelines will help a patient to prepare well in advance for liposuction cosmetic surgery:
- Arrange for previous and current medical records for the surgeon to determine the candidacy for liposuction.
- Prepare a list of all medications, including prescription drugs, blood thinning medications, NSAIDs, herbal supplements and vitamins that the patient may be using currently.
- In case no mammogram has been performed in the last six months, get a baseline mammogram performed ahead of time. The surgeon may also order for a mammogram with specialized views, apart from the routine ones.
- Have the general physician speak to the plastic surgeon for the adjustment of any prescription drugs as needed.
- Quit the use of tobacco in all forms two to three weeks prior to the surgery, or as advised by the surgeon.
- If any major household tasks require attention, have them completed before the surgery in order to ensure a stress-free post-surgical recovery phase.
- If possible, arrange for a family member, friend or a caregiver to assist during the first 48 hours after the surgery.
- Arrange for someone who can drive the patient back home after the procedure.
Patients who diligently follow the surgeon’s advice for preparation will have the benefit of a safer surgery and a faster recovery.
In many cases, the surgeon may provide a written set of common instructions to the patient as a part of the preparation for liposuction surgery, which could include:
- Refrain from using aspirin, ibuprofen and other such medications for at least 10 days before surgery.
- Stop the use of vitamin E, vitamin C, homeopathic and herbal remedies or dietary supplements 30 days before surgery.
- On the day of the surgery, avoid wearing makeup, nail paint, jewelry, body piercings or contact lenses.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes on the day of the surgery. Loose pants or shorts are preferable and the top should button in the front in case the procedure involves upper part of the body.
- Avoid the use of alcohol for at least 24 hours before surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours before surgery.
- If the patient is a diabetic, they should have their condition reviewed on the morning of the surgery.
Mild pre-operative stress is natural, and the surgeon may prescribe some calming medication to be taken the night before the surgery. Dr. Kaufman receives patients from Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and nearby areas for liposuction and various other procedures.