Tummy tuck, clinically called abdominoplasty, is a major body contouring cosmetic surgery procedure designed to restore a flatter and firmer midsection.
Both women and men can equally benefit from this surgery. The surgeon will carefully determine the patient’s candidacy during the initial consultation before recommending an appropriate tummy tuck procedure.
The surgeon will take into account the patient’s unique anatomical and aesthetic goals and suggest a customized tummy tuck surgery plan. Sensational, hardworking, and board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides tummy tuck surgery to suitable candidates in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding locations in The Mother of Presidents.
Who can benefit from Tummy Tuck?
Any adult who is bothered by the appearance of loose or sagging skin around the abdominal area, or has loose abdominal muscles following weight loss, can ideally benefit from tummy tuck cosmetic surgery. Women who have stretched abdominal tissue and weak abdominal muscles after a pregnancy can also regain their pre-pregnancy figure in the waist area after a tummy tuck.
Candidates should know that tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure, but it will enhance contours in the waist area which have loose skin and excess fat deposits. Liposuction is often combined with tummy tuck surgery to create more effective results. People who have undergone significant weight loss or bariatric surgery may also eliminate loose skin in the abdominal area with tummy tuck.
Characteristics of a Good Candidate
Individuals with the following attributes will usually make a good candidate for tummy tuck:
- Overall good health and no underlying medical condition that could pose a risk during surgery or recovery
- Loose skin in the abdominal region that is resistant to diet and exercise
- Weakened muscles in the midsection
- Positive mind and realistic expectations
- Commitment to maintain a balanced and active lifestyle after the surgery for sustainable benefits
Patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and other cities and suburbs in this area of northern Ohio have an opportunity to receive tummy tuck surgery and various other surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures from the profound and attentive plastic surgeon Dr. Kaufman.
Don’ts for a Candidate
A candidate for tummy tuck surgery should not:
- Smoke for a certain period prior to tummy tuck as specified by the surgeon
- Fail to disclose any health information that could compromise their safety
- Use blood thinners, NSAIDs, vitamins, or herbal supplements for a few weeks before the surgery
- Plan for a pregnancy in the near future after surgery
- Plan to undergo a major weight loss in the near future
The tummy tuck candidate should make an independent choice to undergo this procedure, and not choose it merely under the influence of someone else. They should ideally have a moderate and stable body weight and some elasticity in the abdominal area to achieve best results.
Some candidates may be physically fit and active, but may still suffer from fat accumulation in the abdomen due to heredity. Such people may make suitable candidates for tummy tuck even in their 20s or 30s because of the genetic predisposition and family history.