Botox is the most sought-after non-surgical treatment globally to address signs of facial aging.
The FDA gave its approval to Botox manufacturers for the treatment of mild to moderate fine lines and wrinkles in specific areas of the face. It can help restore a more youthful appearance almost immediately.
If an experienced and skilled Botox provider undertakes this procedure, patients can expect safe and effective results.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides Botox facial rejuvenation treatment to patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding locations.
Potential Side Effects
Botox treatment has a high safety profile. But new patients should still understand the potential side-effects and risks associated with Botox to make a judicious decision.
Botulinum toxin type A is the primary ingredient in Botox. It is a powerful biological agent that can lead to significant side-effects if administered incorrectly.
The possible side effects of Botox include:
- Allergic responses
- Neck or back pain
- Muscle weakness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Muscle stiffness
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
Reactions at the injection site may include the following:
Other side-effects of Botox include:
- Cold symptoms
- Flu symptoms
- Difficulty urinating
- Increased sweating in areas other than the underarms
- Tired feeling
- Ringing in the ears
- Urinary tract infections
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Respiratory infections
- Dry mouth
- Burning/painful urination
When used to treat blepharospasm, the side-effects of Botox may include:
- Drooping of the eyelid (ptosis)
- Inflammation of the cornea (keratitis)
- Eye dryness
- Double vision
- Eye irritation
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Reduced blinking
- Eyelid swelling or bruising
In case Botox is administered improperly or in incorrect does, it can cause:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Crooked or twisted smile
- Problems in swallowing or speaking
- Muscle weakness in injection sites
- Unexplained tearing
- Vision problems
- Weak bladder control
- Cockeyed eyebrows
Who Should Avoid Botox?
Determining the candidacy of an individual is crucial for safe and effective outcomes. The treatment provider may not recommend Botox to people with the following conditions:
- Existing allergy to a component of Botox
- Experienced complications from Botox of a variant following a previous treatment
- Presence of untreated skin infection in the injection site
- Suffering from a condition that affects muscles or nerves such as Lambert-Eaton syndrome, myasthenia gravis, or ALS
- Experiencing chronic breathing problems or asthma
- Bleeding conditions
- Received surgery on the face recently
- Planning to undergo facial surgery
- Weak forehead muscles
- Inability to stop the use of blood thinners and NSAIDs for a short duration prior to the Botox treatment
In addition, Botox manufacturer, Allergan, also asks pregnant or breastfeeding women not to undergo Botox treatments.
Choose the Right Botox Provider
The patient should choose a fully equipped and advanced provider with expertise in administering Botox safely after they attain some insights into this injectable treatment.
If the practice is led by an experienced surgeon, they will make sure that the Botox provider follows top-notch quality standards, best practices, and recent safety protocols.
Plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman receives patients from Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and nearby areas for Botox anti-aging injectable treatment.
To learn more about cosmetic treatment and procedures or to schedule a consultation by Cleveland Ohio area plastic surgeon, Dr. Bram Kaufman, please contact us at 1-216-778-2245 or click here.