Thorough pre-op preparation will develop a strong foundation for successful spider vein treatment. The patient and the treatment provider should engage in transparent and open communication to ensure patient compliance and cooperation.
The patient can achieve better outcomes and a reduced risk of complications by preparing adequately for a procedure such as sclerotherapy.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides spider vein treatment to patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding locations.
A thorough health assessment is one of the vital elements of preparing for a sclerotherapy treatment. The treatment provider will:
- Evaluate the condition of the impacted veins
- Check for signs of any underlying blood vessel condition
- Evaluate the medical records of the patient to understand aspects such as blood clot history and heart disease
- Note the medications and supplements that the patient uses presently, and advise any schedule changes or modifications if necessary
- Learn about the patient’s history of skin allergies, if any
- Understand whether the patient has undergone vein treatment in the past and if they have, what were the outcomes
The provider may order an ultrasound imaging test in some cases to evaluate the deeper condition of the impacted sites, depending on which veins are involved.
The ultrasound procedure is effective and painless, and this allows the provider to understand the exact nature and extent of the spider veins as well as develop a customized treatment plan.
A majority of patients will only need the sclerotherapy injectable treatment for spider veins. However, a few may require a combination of sclerotherapy and a laser or light-based treatment.
The provider will inform the patient of the benefits of each treatment option enabling them to make a well-considered choice depending on their specific needs.
Sclerotherapy is considered the treatment of choice to eliminate spider veins from the legs. The preparatory steps for this injectable procedure may include the following:
- Discontinue smoking and avoid the use of blood thinners, NSAIDs, and vitamin E supplements for a specific number of days prior to the procedure according to the treatment provider’s advice.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing to the medical spa for the treatment session.
- Arrange for suitable compression stocking beforehand for use after the procedure. The injection provider will help the patient determine the correct size and type of stockings. Medium compression and knee high or thigh high stockings are usually used.
- Do not shave or apply any lotion or cream to the treatment areas for around 24 hours before the treatment session.
- Eat a balanced and nutritious meal prior to the treatment, and remain properly hydrated before and after the procedure.
After the procedure, the treatment provider may ask the patient to avoid aggressive exercises or activities for one or two days. Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman receives patients from Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and nearby areas for spider vein treatment.