Spider vein treatment
Sclerotherapy is a proven non-surgical vein treatment for the condition of spider veins with a very high rate of success.
But for safe and effective treatment results, the procedure must be preceded by thorough preparation.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman provides spider vein treatment to patients in Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and surrounding communities.
Current Medical Evaluation
The vein specialist will initially evaluate the candidate’s fitness to receive sclerotherapy treatment and understand whether it is the most suitable treatment for them. This evaluation includes:
- An assessment of the condition of diseased veins
- Detecting any indications of an underlying vascular disease
- Review the past health records of the patient to check any history of blood clotting and conditions such as heart disease
- Altering the schedule of any prescription or non-prescription medications that the patient may be using
- History of skin allergies
- Outcomes of previous vein treatments, if any
Ultrasound Imaging Test
Ultrasound imaging is the most effective way to determine the nature and extent of the underlying vein condition in the impacted areas.
The imaging test can be performed at a well-equipped vascular laboratory with skilled technicians to perform precise and painless ultrasound imaging tests to understand the patient’s condition. On the basis of these results, the provider can recommend a suitable vein treatment plan.
While sclerotherapy is a safe, predictable, and effective injectable treatment for spider veins, it may have to be performed in combination with compression therapy, and at times, light or laser-based procedures.
The vein expert will explain the latest treatment options to the patient. They will elaborate on the benefits and limitations of each case. An individualized treatment plan will be developed on the basis of the patient’s unique condition.
Sclerotherapy is the treatment of choice to address the issue of spider veins in the legs. In preparing for this injectable treatment, the patient may need to undertake the preparatory steps:
- Avoid smoking and the use of NSAIDs, blood thinners, and vitamin E supplements for a specified duration before the procedure as instructed by the treatment provider.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing to the med spa for the treatment session.
- Arrange for an appropriate compression stocking in advance for use after the treatment. The treatment provider will help the patient determine the accurate size and type of stockings. In general, medium compression and knee high or thigh high stockings are used.
- Do not apply any lotion or cream or shave the treatment areas for around 24 hours prior to the treatment session.
- Consume a well-balanced and nutritious meal before the treatment and remain adequately hydrated before and after the procedure.
The provider may prescribe a gel or cream for a few days after sclerotherapy to enhance the healing of minor bruises. The patient may be recommended ice therapy for the initial one or two days after the injectable procedure. In addition, the patient will need to avoid aggressive activities for the initial 24 hours following the procedure.
Plastic surgeon Dr. Bram Kaufman receives patients from Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Cleveland, OH, and nearby areas for spider vein treatment.